Dan Klatt did this! USA

XM410

SERIES OF 8X8 2½-TON VEHICLES

XM410E1

This series of experimental truck prototypes were produced in the late 1950s by Chrysler as part of the replacement program for the Deuce & half trucks. The entire body structure of these vehicles was made of riveted Aluminum panels on a steel frame. They featured a push-button shift fully automatic transmission, all-round independant torsion bar suspension, front 4 wheels steering with disk brakes on all wheels. It is amphibious and uses its NDCC 14.00x18 balloon type wheels to propel itself in water. Even the wheel rims were aluminum and shared the same large 5 lug bolt pattern as the Power Wagons and M-37s.
Return to top of page VARIANTS OF THE SERIES
    XM410 ~ Initial experimental version, 1957.
    XM410 [Mock-up] ~ Original wooden mockup.
    XM410E1 ~ Improved version with Chrysler V8 engine, 1964.
    XM410E2 ~ Modified XM410E1 with engine cooling air intakes.
Return to top of page GENERAL RECOGNITION POINTS
  • Four-axle truck with prominent fuel tank in gap between 2nd & 3rd axles.
  • Forward flat-front cab design with low engine compartment behind.
  • Vertical exhaust behind driver.
Return to top of page WEBSITES
Return to top of page DOCUMENTS
  • Infantry. Volume 49, No 3 / Dated July-September 1959
CONTACTS
Go to Index Go to top of page